My all time favourite! The king of all crab dishes, this popular dish is served with the shell on. Easy recipe that anyone can make at home.
- 2 Whole Mud Crabs
- 3 to 4 tablespoon vegetable oil
For the spice paste:
- 6 to 7 shallots
- 1 1/2-inch knob ginger
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste, roasted
- 6 to 8 medium garlic cloves
- 3 to 4 Birds eye chilli
For the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Tauchu (Soy Bean Paste)
- 1 chicken cube
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup tomato ketchup
- 1/2 cup hot-sweet chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, mix with 1/4 cup water
- 2 large eggs, beaten
For the Garnish:
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup fresh coriander
1. In large pot, add boiling water and add the crabs. Let it cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Take it out and break the crab into into pieces.
2. In a food processor, add the ginger, garlic, chilli, shallots, shrimp paste. Blend into a paste. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large wok, heat oil over high medium heat. Stir in the spice paste and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomato ketchup, sweet chilli sauce, tauchu, chicken bouillon, palm sugar and water. Let it simmer for 2 to 4 minutes.
5. Add the crab and reduce to low heat. Cover loosely and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Season to taste.
6. If the gravy is too watery add in the cornstarch. Once gravy thickens, add beaten egg and gently stir. Let it cook for another 1 minute. Garnish with scallions and coriander.
7. Best serve with steamed rice or mantou buns. Gravy is best mopped up with fried mantou buns!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok