A classic chicken dish cooked with soy sauce that everybody knows and every house has its own version & this is mine. A dish that is always a favorite with my boys!
- 4 pieces boneless chicken thigh, cut in mall pieces
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 3 to 4 shallot
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic
- 2 to 3 dry chilli
- 1/2 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 star anise
- 2 cardamom seed
- 2 cloves
- 1 chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sayce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 to 1 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup coriander, finely chopped
- 2 stalks spring onion, finely chopped
1. In a food processor, blend the ginger, garlic, shallots and dried chilli into a paste. Set aside.
2. In a pan, on a medium heat, add oil and the paste. Then add in cardamom, cloves and star anise. Stir for a few seconds to release their fragrance.
3. Then add chicken pieces let it browned for 5 to 6 minutes. Add dark soy sauce, sweet soy sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, vinegar and water. Stir well and cover. Let it cook until the chicken is cooked, sauce reduces and slightly thickens.
4. Garnish with coriander and spring onion. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok