This cantonese style sweet and sour prawn is one of the easiest recipes to make at home. It’s sticky, juicy prawns in sweet sour sauce is perfect to have with steamed rice. 15 minutes is all you need. This is better than a take-away any day!
Watch how it is done!
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 400 gram prawns, peeled
- 3 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
For the sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 tablespoon Ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Chilli sauce
- 1 to 2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn flour mixed with 2 to 3 tablespoon water
- 1 onion, cut into chunks
- 1 capsicum (1/2 red and 1/2 green bell peppers), deseeded and cut into chunks
- 3 stalks Spring Onion, chopped
- In a bowl, season the prawn with corn flour, salt, egg and white pepper. Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or frying pan over high heat. Add prawns and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
- Heat a wok over a high heat, then add the onion, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup, vinegar, chilli sauce, the cooked prawns, capsicum, brown sugar and cornstarch (if you want the sauce to be thicker. You can opt this step out if the sauce is thick enough), stirring for 1 to 2 minutes more until cooked. Serve sprinkled with spring onion.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok