This easy to prepare cucur udang (prawn fritters) is crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. These prawn fritters are best served with hot-sweet chilli sauce and it is a typical asian go to afternoon snack! Yums!
For the prawn batter:
- 12 to 16 pieces medium to large sized prawns, shells off, deveined and sliced in half
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 cup warm water
- 150g all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup Chinese spring onion
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried chilli or chili boh, blend
- 1 to 2 cup vegetable oil
- Prepare the yeast mixture by adding the active dry yeast, sugar and warm water in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes or until yeast begins to bubble.
- In a large bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt, turmeric, blended dried chili and the yeast mixture. Mix well. Then add the prawns, spring onions and coriander into the batter and gently mix well.
3. In a wok or a pan, heat oil over medium heat. Once oil is ready for frying, scoop prawn and batter onto a spoon and gently push the prawn batter of the spoon. Fry for about 30 to 45 seconds before flipping it over. Repeat until golden brown. Enjoy and eat while it’s hot! 🙂
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok