Just the other day, my husband and I were reminiscing our student days in London (20 years ago!) and was missing the takeout food we use to have during our Sunday Wembley market days. Now that we’re 1000 miles away, we tried to replicate the flavours as we remembered – juicy, smokey meat with lots of aromatic spices. Kofta Kebabs are skewers of spiced-up ground lamb or beef, served with fresh vegetables, pita and garlic yogurt sauce which complements perfectly to the rich, flavourful meats. So today, we finally got around developing this recipe and only because my husband accidentally bought 3-kg worth of minced beef! We still have 2 1/2 kg to go. Sigh.
FOR THE SHISH KEBAB MARINADE
- 500 to 600 gram minced beef or lamb
- 1/3 cup fresh coriander stalk, blended
- 1 red onion, blended
- 2 to 3 green chilli, blended
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Dry Kebab Spice Mix
- 1 tablespoon Kebab spice
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
FOR THE CUCUMBER SALAD
- 3 to 4 tablespoon Virgin Olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon organo
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Juice from 1 lemon
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 to 2 tablespoon fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup olives
- 2 to 3 Baby Romaine Lettuce
- Bread of your choice, Pita Bread, Tortilla wrap
- In a bowl, add the blended ingredients – coriander, chilli and onion. Then add the beef or lamb, the dry kebab spice mix and olive oil. Mix well and ensure the meats are well coated with the marinade. Marinate in the refrigerator 8 hours or overnight.
2. Divide the meat mixture into 10 equal portions and each ball weighs 60 grams, depending on the size of your skewers. You can simply skewer in the meat balls and them squeeze them into a long sausage shape. Keep a bowl of ice water handy to dip your hand in, if the meat starts to stick to you. Gently squeeze the meat into a long, ridged, sausage shape by gently squeezing it from top to bottom, and pressing the side of your thumb in as you go, to make the ridges. Flip the skewer and repeat the process, squeezing and ridging the other side.
3. Cook the skewers on the preheated grill, turning frequently and brushing generously with the reserved marinade until nicely browned on all sides and the meat is no longer pink in the center, about 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Now the fun part, assembling them! Heat the choice of your bread on the frying pan over a medium-high heat for 30 to 45 seconds on both sides or until they are warmed through and a little toasty. Place the bread on a plate and put 2 to 3 baby romaine lettuce, onions and the shish kebab on top of it. Top with some store bought garlic yogurt sauce, chilli sauce , squeeze in some store bought yogurt garlic sauce, mediterranean chilli sauce (or other sauce if you prefer). Roll up and serve hot!
FOR THE CUCUMBER SALAD
5. In a small bowl, combine virgin olive oil, oregano, white vinegar, salt, pepper and lemon juice. Mix until well combined.Then add the cucumber, parsley, mint, olives and onions.Toss again to combine, making sure the cucumber salad is well coated with the dressing. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok