Every household would have their own version of bolognese sauce and this is mine. This Bolognese Sauce is the ultimate comfort food. A delicious, rich, thick sauce that can be made ahead, is freezer friendly, versatile and a total crowd pleaser.
It’s is also a perfect for midweek meal, perfect left over sauce for Baked Pasta or even a Lasagna.
- 1 packet Spaghetti
- 500 to 600 gram Ground Beef
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large Onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup ginger ale or apple juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/4 cup Tomato ketchup
- 1/4 cup Chilli sauce (optional)
- 1 cup Beef Stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoon dried Rosemary or 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, finely diced
- 2 to 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 large dried basil or handful of Fresh Basil
- 1 to 2 canned Hunt’s Diced Tomato (or any brand)
- 1/4 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan
- Salt, to taste
- Ground White Pepper, to taste
- In a large dutch oven and on medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil then add ground beef. Leave to brown for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt, pepper and add 1/2 teaspoon rosemary. Continue frying until nicely browned. Set aside.
2. In the same dutch oven, add 1 tablespoon oil and onion. Continue frying until the onion begins to soften and brown, then add minced garlic. Fry for another 1 to 2 minutes until the garlic begins to brown.
3. Lower heat to medium, add ginger ale. Allow it to simmer and reduce for at least 2 minutes and stir in the beef.
4. Pour in the canned diced tomato, Tomato ketchup, Chilli sauce, beef stock, Worcestershire sauce, basil, bay leaves & remaining rosemary and and sugar to taste.
5. Stir well and then cover. Reduce heat to low and leave it simmer for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Keep stirring every 15 minutes. This is important as it tenderises the beef and marries the flavours together.
6. Meanwhile in a separate deep pot, add spaghetti in salted boiling water and cook until al dente.
7. Take lid off the bolognese and cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes without the lid so it can reduce and thickens, then stir in parmesan. Enjoy!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok