Tamagoyaki Japanese Omelette is one of the easiest and most versatile protein side dishes to add to your Lunch/ Bento Box. It is made by rolling together thin layers of seasoned egg in a frying pan.
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Rice Vinegar or Mirin
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt, to taste
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs and add the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Mix well.
2. In a small frying pan or a Japanese Omelette Pan, heat the pan over medium heat, dip a folded paper towel in oil and apply to the pan. When you hear the sizzling sound, pour a thin layer of egg mixture into pan, tilting to cover the bottom of the pan.
3. Move the rolled omelette to the side where you started to roll, and apply oil to the pan with a paper towel.
4. Pour the egg mixture to cover the bottom of the pan again. Make sure to lift the omelette to spread the mixture underneath so it sticks and it will be easier for you to roll it. When the new layer of egg has set and still soft on top, start rolling from one side to the other.
5. Continue adding a small amount of egg while oiling the pan each time in between. Repeat until you have used it all up.
6. When it is done, remove from the pan and wait to cool before slicing it up into 1 cm thin pieces.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok