Japchae. It is one of our favorite Korean dish. It has a balanced of sweet and savory flavor, crunchy vegetable texture and bouncy noodle texture. It is an easy dish to prepare but a bit cumbersome because they are individually prepared and cooked.
If you plan to pack this for your lunch box, you can cook this the night before. Just reheat in the morning.
- 100 to 200 gram beef fillet, cut into strips
- 1 packet Korean Sweet Potato Starch Noodle
- 3 eggs, for the omelette
- 1 carrot, peeled & julienned
- 1/2 courgette, julienned
- 1/2 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 100g dried or fresh shiitake mushroom, stems removed & thinly sliced
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1/3 cup light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar or Mirin
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar or honey
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 Beef cube
- Ground black pepper
FOR THE GARNISH
- Toasted sesame seed
- spring onions, finely chopped
Prepare the beef and noodle marinade
1. In a large bowl, combine the marinade ingredients together and mix well. Reserve 1 cup of the marinade sauce for the noodle and 2 tablespoon for the shitake mushroom and 2 tablespoon for the beef.
2. Place the beef strips into the marinade and gently mix the sauce into the meat. Leave to marinade for 10 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a pan and on medium heat, add oil. Stir fry beef until it is cooked, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Prepare the vegetables
4. In the same pan used for the beef. Sauté the carrots, shitake mushroom, onions, spring onion, capsicum one at a time. Put them aside.
3. In a small bowl, add the mushroom and add 2 tablespoon of the marinade. Set aside.
6. For the omelette, beat the eggs in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a medium non-stick frying pan, add the egg mixture and cook for 2 to 3minutes over a medium heat until the egg is almost set all the way through. Then cut into long strips. Set aside.
Boil the noodle
6. In a large pot, boil water. Once the water starts to boil, add the noodles and boil them for 6 to 7 mins. Drain the water. Rinse in cold water to cool down.
7. In a pan and on low heat, add the noodles and add reserved marinade. Mix well, about 1 to 2 minutes. Set aside.
7. Now that everything is prepared, let’s assemble the dish. Combine everything. In a serving plate , add the noodles, then on top of it add the beef and vegetables. Toss to combine and enjoy!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok