Tender, succulent beef in a rich and sweet savory sauce with spring onion. The sweet flavor of the dark brown sugar mixed with the salty soy sauce, hoisin sauce and the strong ginger and garlic is incredibly addicting.
- 4 to 5 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 200 to 300 gram flank steak
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 to 3 dried chilli
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1 stalk spring onion, chopped for garnish
- In a small bowl, lightly coat the beef strips in cornstarch and shake to remove excess.
- In a wok and on medium heat, add oil. Stir fry beef until caramelized on both sides. Remove the meat and set aside. Discard all but 1 tablespoon of the oil for the sauce.
TO MAKE THE SAUCE
3. In a small bowl, prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients, except for the garlic and ginger. Set aside.
4. In the same wok, Sauté the ginger and garlic until fragrant. Then add remaining sauce ingredients. Let the sauce simmer, about 2 to 3 minutes, until sauce begins to thicken.
5. Return the beef to the wok along with the green onions and stir to coat.
6. Serve immediately with steamed rice.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok