Beef Rendang is a tender, rich and creamy spicy beef stew made with beef, spices, coconut milk and toasted coconut (the secret ingredient).
The beef is slow cooked for 3 hours until tender in the sauce. and as the oil separates, it gives a beautiful caramelized exterior to the beef.
- 1 Kg Beef Chuck, cut in cubes
- 5 to 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
FOR THE PASTE:
- 1 inch Galangal
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 to 6 shallots
- 2 lemongrass
- 5 to 6 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon blended dried chilli
FOR THE SAUCE:
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 to 8 cloves
- 4 to 5 star anise
- 4 to 8 cardamom pods
- 1 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1 to 2 cup water
- 1/4 cup tamarind juice, tamarind pulp soaked in warm water
- 6 to 8 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup kerisik, toasted coconut
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar, to taste
- 1 Beef Bouillon cube
- Salt, to taste
PREPARE THE SPICE PASTE
- In a food processor, add all the paste ingredients and blend until fine.
2. In a large dutch oven, add oil. Sauté the spice paste then add cinnamon, cloves, star anise, kaffir leaves and cardamom and stir fry until fragrant.
3. Add the beef and stir well. Add the kerisik, palm sugar, coconut milk, tamarind juice, salt, water and simmer, stirring frequently.
4. Lower the heat to low. Cover the lid and simmer for 2 hour and another 1 hour in the oven at 180C.
5. Serve immediately with steamed rice. Rendang taste better when left overnight and eaten the next day!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok