There’s nothing nicer than a warming chicken pie with crisp, golden-brown puff pastry and creamy, rich chicken mushroom sauce. It’s so satisfying!
- 4 boneless chicken thigh
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 packets, ready rolled puff pastry
- 3 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, diced
- 2 cups, mushroom, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 to 4 sprigs, thyme
- 1 stalk leek or spring onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoon heavy cream
- Salt, to taste
- Ground White Pepper, to taste
- 1 to 2 tablespoon cornflour, mixed with 4 tablespoon water
MAKING THE CHICKEN MUSHROOM FILLING:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Heat a tablespoon oil in a large dutch oven, add the onion, garlic and cook over a medium heat until fragrant.
- Add the chicken and cook for 8 to 10 mins. Then add the thyme, butter, carrots and mushroom. Add the chicken stock, and stir in the cornflour and heavy cream. Season to taste. Bring to boil and let it simmer until thickened. Put aside and let it cool.
LET’S FILL IN THE PIE DISH:
4. Once you’ve made your chicken pie filling, grease a pie dish and lay in your first sheet of pastry.
5. To prevent the bottom pastry from being soggy, line your pie dish with the pastry, prick with a fork and cover in baking parchments and fill with any fried beans. Blind bake the pastry in the oven at 180C for 10 to 12 minutes.
6. Once the base is ready, pour the chicken mushroom filling into the pie dish, place the second pastry on top, crimp the edges to seal them with a fork, add decorations if you fancy and pierce a few holes in the top to let out the steam. Brush with an egg wash.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown.
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok