These pan-fried eggplants with Chilli garlic sauce are soft, spicy, slightly sweet and are very delicious! It’ simple to make and does not need gazillion ingredients! Makes a great side Tdish, appetizer or main course over steamed rice!
Watch the video
- 1 large eggplant, cut it in half, then slice down the center of the quarter to create a wedge (see video)
- 80 to 100 gram Firm Tofu, pressed
- 2 to 3 dried chilli, soaked in water to soften then chopped
- 1/2 inch ginger, minced
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoon oil, for cooking
- salt, to taste
- white pepper, to taste
For the sauce:
- 5 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 Chicken Bouillon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch mix with 1/3 cup water
- a handful of chopped fresh coriander, for garnish
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the sauce. Stir well until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Fry the eggplant for 2 minutes each side or until golden. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pan, saute the garlic, ginger and chilli until fragrant. Then add the tofu, eggplant, mushroom. Let it cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the sauce . Stir and let it cook until the sauce thickens. Finally, garnish with coriander.
- Serve immediately. Makes a great side dish, appetizer or main course over steamed rice!
If you’ve tried the recipe, don’t forget to tag us on instagram at #thespatulaandwok